Chad: Food security project for vulnerable populations in the Western Logone region – TCD916
The agricultural sector in Chad faces challenges related to production systems, notably the poor management of natural resources, their low availability and difficulties in accessing inputs (seeds, fertilisers, etc.) and agricultural equipment. In addition, there are inadequate means of production, a lack of processing units and marketing channels for agricultural products, and the absence of agricultural credit structures and financial windows adapted to the rural world. On the other hand, the great efforts made by producers are not proportional to the small incomes obtained because of the low level of organisation and the weak capacity of the support structure for producers.
Support vulnerable rural populations to sustainably improve their food and nutrition security.
Ensure adequate nutrition for vulnerable populations by improving the production performance of rural producers and the economic opportunities of households in intervention areas.
ER 1: Support rural producers to intensify and diversify agricultural production in the target area.
ER 2: Promote activities that generate additional income for vulnerable households, especially women.
ER 3: Limit the negative impact of construction measures such as zoning restrictions on the environment, health and safety of users and the local population.
- Establish / strengthen 135 producer groups (organised around agro-pastoral production)
- Support 135 producer groups to develop 1000 hectare of irrigated land for rain-fed and flood recession crops
- Support 135 producer groups for the development of 400 hectare of land for market gardening production.
- Train and support 135 producer groups in efficient agricultural techniques
- Facilitate access to agricultural inputs for 135 producer groups
- Support producers in the 9 sub-districts for the production and multiplication of quality seeds
- Organise exchanges of experience between producers for learning in the Farmer Field Schools
- Support 135 producer groups to plant fruit trees
- Build and equip 9 community storage warehouses to facilitate post-harvest management and group sales of agricultural production
- Support 9 peaceful cohabitation committees for the prevention and management of conflicts between users of shared natural resources
- Set up and train 135 Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLA) of women
- Facilitate the connection of the 135 VSLA with microfinance institutions and access to credit
- Support 135 VSLA for small livestock through the community solidarity chain
- Train and support 234 community animal health agents and retrain 9 veterinary agents
- Train and support 2,680 households to install vegetable gardens
- Train the leaders of the 135 VSLA on the marketing of agro-pastoral products
- Create 2 units for the processing and marketing of agricultural products
- Assess the environmental impact of road construction in the project area
- Organise a campaign to disseminate the environmental impact report of the road construction to stakeholders
- Support communities to plant and maintain 15,000 trees along the roadside in the villages adjacent to the road construction
- Raise awareness in local communities on Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)/ Human Immunodeficiency Viruses (HIV) control measures
- Raise awareness in local communities on health and safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Organise community awareness sessions for users and local populations on road safety
Western Logone region
01.02.2022 – 31.01.2026
World Vision Germany
This project is funded by the European Union.
This project contributes to the following sustainable development goals (SDGs):